Excellent little museum housed in the 17th century stable block of Kinneil House. Normally open six days a week, every day except Tuesdays from 12.30 p.m. to 4 p.m. (plus at additional times to tie in with Kinneil House open days – see our homepage for details). Admission free. Features shop, audio visual show, displays and artefacts dating back to Roman Times. An excellent place to start your visit. Call the Museum on 01506 778530.
- Visit the Kinneil Museum web page
- See the new ground floor displays at Kinneil Museum (photo gallery)
Historic home of the Dukes of Hamilton. Dates back to the 16th century. Open on selected days throughout the year. Guides from Historic Environment Scotland and The Friends of Kinneil take people through the House and tell its fascinating story. Look out for the rare renaissance wall paintings – said to be the best in Scotland – and the resident ghost. Free admission. Check with Kinneil Museum for information on the next open days – or click on the link on our homepage.
- Visit the Kinneil House web page on the Historic Environment Scotland site
- Download a 1940 report on the paintings inside Kinneil House (large PDF)
Ruins of the 12th century church at Kinneil lie a short distance to the west of Kinneil House. Just walk over the bridge, crossing a rocky ravine, to reach the site. The site is one of the earliest places for religious worship in the area. The parish church was moved into Bo’ness in the 17th century and then in 1745 the old Kinneil church was partly destroyed by fire. All that remains is the western gable end and some historic gravestones. A bell from the church can be seen in Kinneil Museum. Look out for spring daffodils, planted around the church.
You can also visit the surrounding acres of woodland and two ponds – and see coots, buzzards and swans – plus many other animals. Free audio tours and a family quiz sheet are available. There are occasional guided walks through the park. Check with Kinneil Museum for details. (In addition Step Forth runs health walks around the estate, usually three times a week. See www.kinneil.org.uk/walk for details – or ask at the Museum to find out more.)
Attractive paths and walking routes through the woods and estate are available. They are among those featured – together with others in the local area – in a free walking leaflet available from local venues or online at the Visit Falkirk web site here.
JAMES WATT’S COTTAGE
Small outbuilding, to the rear of Kinneil House, where inventor James Watt worked on his development of the steam engine. The experiments were supported by industrialist John Roebuck, who was living in Kinneil House at the time. The building, which now has no roof or door, dates back to the 1760s.
One of the milecastles built by the Romans around 140 AD as part of the Antonine Wall, the Empire’s most northerly frontier. Part of the roadway into the fortlet has been excavated. Posts and paving slabs mark the outline of the fortlet buildings. The line of the wall has also been partly reconstructed. Remains from the fortlet, and more information, can be seen in Kinneil Museum.
- Download a PDF telling you more about the excavations at Kinneil Fortlet
- See a video about the fortlet and Antonine Wall on YouTube.
- Visit the Antonine Wall website.
These publications were produced as part of the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. They are now located online and can be downloaded free of charge for private study.
- Find out more about Kinneil Estate on the Undiscovered Scotland website and
- the surrounding area on the Unlock Bo’ness website.